Saturday, October 4, 2008

What to do with the BeesWax?

October 3, 2008

So now I have these (2) 5-gallon buckets of honey. Each is just the raw unprocess honey right out of the extractor. The honey is mixed with bits of wax and a few bee parts. All of this "extra" floats to the top. Today I used a slotted spoon and lifted off most of this extra staff, leaving the honey behind in the buckets. I placed the wax/honey mix in a colander, lined with a piece of cheesecloth and placed the colander on top of a large pot. I set the honey/wax mitures out in the sun to warm and the honey drained out into the pot. I was able to get about 1 more quart of honey from this process. The remaining wax I placed back in the pot and added water and put this on the stove and heated it. This should not be heated to boiling, but as I am always multi-tasking, I returned to the kitchen and it had already begun to boil. I quickly removed the pot from the stove and set it aside to cool. The result was a thin disk of wax floating on the top of the water. I removed this and placed it in a plastic ziplock for later use. What's next candlemaking?


A photo of the resulting wax is posted.

No comments: