Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Making more room ...

Wednesday August 6, 2008

I made a quick trip out to the hives today on my lunch hour ... I was able to drive out to the Farm, 10 miles east of work, put on the bee suit, crank up the smoker, and install 3 supers on the hives and then get back to work ... One hive now has 1 hive body and 4 regular supers. The other has 2 hive bodies, 2 regular supers and 1 ross round super. 4 of the supers are full of honey. The next project will be to get use of an extractor and take off some of this excess honey for my use. It has been rainy most of the week, but today was hot with blue skies. The bee of both hives were mostly agreeable ... a few flying kamakazis, but overall pretty tame. Until next time ... bee well!

1 comment:

Island Insight said...

Hi, Kurt,

Thank you again for the great experience today - my first bee encounter!

I can see that bee keeping is hard work under unnerving conditions. I had never really thought about it, but I will have a greater appreciation for honey aftter seeing some of what is involved.

It's great reading about your experiences with the bees at the farm, too. I'm seeing the bees in a whole new light.

The photos are coming soon.

Melanie